Task trackers, also known as task managers, are the main digital assistants of modern managers at various levels of operation. With the help of utilities, you can set up goals, specify deadlines for their implementation, monitor the process, and conduct internal correspondence inside the team – all without tedious planning meetings. So what tools will help you to organize the work of the entire team effectively? Let’s take a closer look at the most innovative solutions available on the market.
#1 – Asana
This task tracker is highly popular in the IT community because of its simplicity and intuitive interface. After the recent rebranding, the interface of the solution became not only convenient and easy-to-use but also more appealing. There are applications for iOS and Android, which gives you even more flexibility and freedom. The task management system can be used for free by small teams up to 15 people with absolutely no functionality limitations or restrictions. The only thing for you to be aware of is that there is no way to install the program on your local server. However, this hasn’t scared NativeCasinos 日本, who are actively using the system for a successful project running.
The main functions and features of the Asana service are the following ones:
- Possibility to create several projects with different groups of employees;
- Ability to set up multiple work sections for managing different projects or different teams;
- Tasks are divided into subtasks if necessary. A distinctive feature is that you can create subtasks for any task;
- Prioritization of tasks;
- Group calendar;
- Team chat feature;
- Search by word or field and the search filter;
- Grouping tasks by tags is possible;
- It is possible to control hotkeys.
Thus, if you lead a team of 15 people or run a project with fewer specialists involved in it, you can save a lot of money by using Asana. The solution will help you to optimize the work of your colleagues and reach top team efficiency.
#2 – Jira
Jira is a modern bug tracking and project management system for teams using both Scrum and Agile agile development methodologies. It supports many deployment methods: cloud, server, data center, etc. There is an application for smartphones running on Android OS and iOS, so you can access it from absolutely any device. There is a free trial period of 7 days for you to test out the system features and functional set.
Among the main functions and features to use in Jira are:
- Tracking projects, tasks, stories, and bugs;
- Scrum and Kanban boards;
- Agile reports;
- The ability to use standard (templated) processes or create your own workflow;
- Prioritization of tasks;
- Chat feature;
- A large number of add-ons for different tasks;
- Integration with other tools (e.g. Confluence, Bitbucket, Bamboo).
If you doubt whether the solution will match your project needs, we recommend testing it out for a week before making the final decision.
#3 – Basecamp
It is one of the first task management programs and one of the most popular. This task tracker took 2nd place in the 2016’s ranking, according to Tagline, despite the fact that its subscription is far from cheap. But non-profit or charitable organizations can get a discount of 50%, whereas students and teachers can use it for free. To understand the solution work logic, the trial version of 30 days is available.
Basic functions and features of the Basecamp service include:
- Creation of an unlimited number of projects;
- Chat feature with a separate message board for posting ads;
- The possibility to create templates for projects of the same structure;
- Charts functionality;
- Search for files by a key-value;
- The possibility to set working hours so as not to receive notifications when you are off.
Although Basecamp is not cheap, the solution is worth the price being changed for a license.
#4 – Redmine
It is a free service for team collaboration and task management with standard functionality. You can install the solution on your local server and thus ensure its stability.
Main functions and features of Redmine:
- The ability to start several projects and subprojects;
- The ability to control access to the project based on user roles and rights;
- Chart and calendar;
- Control of hours worked;
- File manager;
In addition to the free Redmine service, there is also Easy Redmine – a paid task-tracker with advanced functionality. In the paid version of the solution, there are project templates, chat feature, charts, and diagrams for the project as well as several additional features.
#5 – Trello
Trello is a task tracker based on the Kanban development management method. Project management in Trello, as well as in Kanban, is carried out using boards, lists, and cards, which makes the process intuitive and simple. According to reviews, this program is more suitable for startups and small projects.
The basic version of Trello is free and comes with limited functionality. If you need some extra features, then you need to purchase Trello Gold or Trello Business Class.
The best characteristics of Trello cover:
- Creation of several projects (boards). It is possible to see several projects and their statuses simultaneously;
- Convenient filtering. It contains 4 sets of filters: by text, by labels (priorities), by user name, and by date;
- Assignment of responsibility and task executors;
- The possibility to subscribe to updates. You can subscribe to the entire board, to a sheet or to a specific card;
- Ability to synchronize with Google Calendar;
- Chat feature inside each card.
If you are starting a new project and have fewer tasks and a small budget, Trello is an excellent choice to start with.