Last week we featured the Amazon Echo with its superb speaker and voice control capabilities bringing a new dimension of home techie-ness. And today its literally half sister called Amazon Echo Dot have just been introduced. Physically it should look like half of the original Echo but does almost everything the Echo can do, except the mediocre sound quality. Most importantly, if you opted to bring Alexa in every area of your home the Echo Dot sounds economically as it’s half the price of the original Echo for just $89.99 compared to the original Echo at $179.99.
Amazon Echo Dot features:
- Uses the Alexa Voice Service to play music, provide information, read the news, set alarms, control smart home devices, and more using just your voice
- Connects to speakers over Bluetooth or with the included audio cable to play music from Prime Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn
- Includes a built-in speaker so it can work on its own as a smart alarm clock in the bedroom, an assistant in the kitchen, or anywhere you might want a voice-controlled computer
- Hears you from across the room with far-field voice recognition, even while music is playing
- Controls smart home devices like lights, switches, thermostats, and more with compatible connected devices from WeMo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, ecobee, and others
- Always getting smarter and adding new features and skills
In conclusion, Amazon Echo Dot does everything the original Echo can do, bringing voice control to your home, for half the price. The sound quality from it smaller speaker package can be bypassed if you have any existing speakers where you can connect the Echo Dot.