This was exactly a direct assault to standalone GPS market like somehow been hurt by Google’s own free turn by turn navigation using their Android Platform but talking about a debut on 74 different countries and 20 million handsets just might totally liquefied its existence. It’s all Nokia plan to target decent location-based service market.
Some of the features of the free Ovi Maps with Navigation cited by MobileCrunch:
- Maps are stored locally, and no continuous data connection is needed
- Traffic Information in 10 countries
- Lane assistance, speed trap warnings
- Pedestrian mode, including shortcuts only possible on foot
- Free Lonely Planet/Michelin travel guides
You can grab the Ovi Maps with Navigation app here with compatible handsets such as, a Nokia X6, N97 mini, E72, E55, E52, 6730 classic, 6710 Navigator, 5800 Xpressmusic and Navigation Edition, or 5230.
Before I forget, Nokia is also teasing a much bigger announcement on January 26th, a day before Apple Media Event and I speculate a new handset since they’ve already set this new Ovi Map with Navigation.